Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Jesus Saves


Most days as I make the short commute to work this is who I see at the crossroads of Highway 166 and Post Road.

If you've ever taken the time to stop and chat with this man you will find out that his name is Dexter Landers Sr. and that his son is the Pastor of a local Baptist church.  Dexter will laughingly tell you that his son is a big boy, and that "he gets it from his momma".

I have a great faith and deep security in my relationship with God but I am not what you would call a fanatic by any stretch of the imagination.  I feel certain that "fanatic"  and "Jesus Freak" are a couple of words that have crossed peoples minds as they pass Dexter on the days he is at the crossroads.

I told myself from the first moment I saw him "I'm gonna stop and talk to him.  That man is bold, intent and most definitely obedient to a calling that he feels from above."  

Seeing him out there most days made me examine my own life, and I found that I couldn't think of one thing that I was passionate enough about to sit out on the side of the road in all kinds of weather to tell a passerbyer about.  Nothing.   Nada.

As a Christian shouldn't I be right there alongside him?!  Is my faith in God less because of my lack of say, enthusiasm?   No.   It is not.   I am not ashamed of my Lord, I just proclaim His good news in a different less bold fashion.  We all as Christians have our own way of sharing Christ, the point is to share.

I must say that I am tickled and amazed by this man who has sat in the freezing cold and the messy wet weather this past winter just to plant a seed about the one that came to save us all and to tell whoever will listen that they don't have to suffer the heat of hell's eternal flame.

If you pass by that way and see Brother Landers, be sure to stop and chat with him a minute.  You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment