Saturday, April 19, 2008

My House Is Spotless!

Do you every experience times when you have been so busy it seems like your not home for more than 5 minutes at a time the whole week? Well it has been like that for me the last three weeks.

I spent the first part of today at a ladies luncheon at our church, which was fabulous, and then came home to relax and just piddle around the rest of the day. In theory that sounded great, the reality of it, well it was just too depressing to imagine.

I come in my back door, a little tired but glad to be home and I had one of those moments you hear about in the bible. Do you know the one I'm talking about? The passage where it says "And the scales fell from his eyes". It was as if I had been blinded to just how yucky the house had gotten. Now I'm not talking food left out for days or anything, just clutter, clutter and more clutter.

I called my friend Debbie and asked her if the Good Fairy had come while she was at the Ladies Luncheon and cleaned her house, cause mine was the pits. She said no, and hers was so bad that her dad had commented on it.

That's always a fun experience. My dad once asked me on an unexpected visit to my house "Who died in this wreck?" Yeah, right dad, ha, ha.

Debbie told me that growing up, her mom always kept their house spotless. Spotless? Well, my house is spotless! I can't see an available spot anywhere that you could lay another thing down!!

Personally, I think Debbie is a great housekeeper. She even irons clothes! I either A.) Throw the wrinkled item in the dryer with a wet towel, or B.) Set my steam iron on high and shoot puffs of steam at my article of clothing while it still hangs on the hanger. The latter method works quite well, but if you are going to do this on a regular basis I suggest you purchase a fabric steamer designed for this.

For one, the iron gets really heavy holding it in one hand while you tug and smooth out the fabric with the other (hang your item on a door knob or hook, unless you have three arms, then, well, you get the picture). I have operated my iron, using this method for so long now it's starting to act a little quirky. There are alot of times now that the faceplate of the iron won't even get hot enough to iron with anymore....hmmmm, wonder if it's one of those use it or lose it situations....

Either way, ironing is just not one of my "things". Apparently, neither is picking up after myself! Well, I'm off to do The White Tornado!

1 comment:

  1. That little house cleaning fairy has left the country and never came to see me either. My youngest made a pallett on the living room floor the first Friday night of spring break and as I type, she is sound asleep for the night on it. We just marked the passing of 2 weeks on the floor! What is so exciting about sleeping on the floor? I know that one night I got down there with her to watch TV and the ol' eyelids pooped out and closed. 4 hours later, upon rudely being awakened by a kitty cat kissing me, I thought Lee was going to have to call 911 to help get me up! At almost 45 years of age, sleeping on the floor is torture to me and my not so trustworthy back. I develop more gratitude each day that passes for my parents and what they put up with from us kids. I know we made tents out of perfectly clean bedsheets and the kitchen chairs on many occasions. I don't remember Mama ever complaining, but looking back now, she should have made us re-wash those sheets and put away the chairs!! (My 2 did this to me recently and I complained at them the whole time). Thanks Mom for a clean home to grow up in..my children can't say that to me! The old saying is "A clean house is the sign of a sick mind" certainly applies to me. Probably written by the folk named "They" you know! Happy cleaning....come on over when you're through and do mine too! Love you!?!! Sandy

    ReplyDelete