Thursday, March 6, 2008

People And Their Little Dogs


People are crazy about their pets, especially the little pocket pets you can carry around with you. Our little CheeWaWa, BB loves going for rides in the car, so when my teenager Alex asked if she could go along for the ride to school, I thought "Sure, why not".
We started this little adventure in the middle of the previous week and I have to tell you, by day 5 it was starting to get a little old! I need to be at least 4 inches taller since BB’s favorite place to ride was standing up in my lap, on her hind legs with her front paws on the steering wheel. My best guess is she had adopted this stance to better help her maneuver us along the winding road to the school.
She has a very small head, but it is just large enough that I was now viewing the outside world from between two ears that look like they belong to a vampire bat. It was also bothering me that I could no longer take my cup of coffee with me because that would require my growing a third arm.
The day that marked her last ride to school was when BB suddenly became excited at seeing the kids walking along the sidewalks. Up until this point she had remained calm on these little jaunts, almost to the point of boredom. Not today!
She started barking and leaping up and down with her front paws on the center of the steering wheel. She was doing her level best to announce her arrival and as luck would have it, she was hitting just the right spot to make the horn blow. (Wonder why a six pound dog can honk a horn without even trying and I could bang my entire head against it when I need it to blow and can’t get a peep out of it?)
Once the horn started honking, BB got really irritated and started barking at whoever the rude person was making such a loud commotion! Our car became quite the spectacle and my daughter, Alex, got a huge laugh out of leaving me there at the back of a long line of cars with a half crazed dog doing her best to escape the confines of our car and attack whoever was honking at her.
I'm pretty sure that I will get the last laugh though. Alex is now 16 and wants to date. I'm thinking that Abby will make the perfect little chaperone to tag along with Alex and her boyfriend when the situation arises, and I am oh so certain it will be soon!

1 comment:

  1. I am sure that muffin and lucus would love the be a chaperone also. I can see it now BB sitting in the front seat between Alex and Chris and muffin and lucus guarding the back.

    ReplyDelete