Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Domestic Goddess

I have found when you give a creative title to most things you can turn the ordinary in extraordinary.  It is a way to take a mundane position and make it sound like something that not only pays well but is interesting to boot!  For instance Sanitation Engineer vs Garbage Man, which would you rather be?

So here I am, previously employed office worker (sounds better than laid off) working behind the scenes on some promotion work, and missing her blog and all the stories that have gone untold as each day has flown by.  I should be thrilled at the opportunity to catch up on my laundry but for some reason the role of housewife has never really been something that I've done well.

I admire and envy those ladies that are able to give their all, and run their households like a well oiled machine, you know them, the Domestic Goddesses of the world.   They are perfect in every way.  Not only do they run their households like a well oiled machine, they do it with seemingly little effort.  I am certain they are Stepford Wives!

I love my family, but while the DG has her family off to school with a hot breakfast in their tummy, I am shouting words of encouragement from my bed much like Charlie Buckets grandparents from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.   Ice cream sandwich for breakfast?   Sure, why not?!  It's got eggs and milk in there somewhere.

The Goddess zips around in her stylish shoes and upper scale costume jewelry with perfectly manicured nails doing her wash and cleaning her home, while I am letting the day get away from me by enjoying just a few minutes out on the front porch amongst the trumpet vines and  hummingbirds.    Before you know it, Abby is getting off the bus and coming up the driveway.  There I am, in my pj's, notebook in hand while I capture my thoughts on paper, and my teeth feel like they're wearing sweaters because I have yet to brush them.   Gross  I know, but it is what it is.

I have friends that are  Domestic Goddesses, while I am more of a Domestic Misfit.  The housework gets done, but if your gonna drop by unannounced it is truly at your own risk....if you need tolerably tidy please at least let me know you are at the top of my street so I can do the white tornado.  Now it's nothing like those shows where people are nasty mind you, just stuff like a mountain of clean laundry begging to be put away on the dining room table.

This week Ray and I have spent a fantastic time with some friends at their vacation spot.  It has been a much needed escape from reality, and lucky for us extremely low budget.

While crossing the state line from Georgia to Florida I was once again reminded of my failings as a housewife as I noticed the spanish moss dripping from the trees and made a mental note to clean the ceiling fans when I got back home.....



©  2010  Annette Bagley-Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment