Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Hiding Candy From Babies

Today I was on a mission to get some long overdue de-cluttering done in the front part of the house.  I began in the laundry room and discovered the exhaust pipe or whatever you want to call it that runs from the dryer to the outside vent has come loose yet AGAIN and there is lint everywhere.  If something ever generates a spark in there the laundry room is gonna light up like a Christmas tree.  You will see a black cloud of smoke for miles generated from the 10,000 pieces of plastic "silver" (as my grandmother used to call it) stored in there along with my many left over paper plates from various events.

It was during the throwing out of the 15 different plastic cake takers that have nary a lid that fits, that I discovered the wrapper of a Now and Later package with one lonely candy, hanging in the wrapper like a loose tooth, lying over in the corner of the laundry room.  This sweet find was partially concealed by a dust hippo, created from the endless supply of lint blowing wildly about every time a load of laundry spun dry.

Oh Goody!  Something sweet!  I blew the dust off my treat while doing the Snoopy Dance around the broom I was using to drag socks out from behind the  washer.  How do miscellaneous articles of clothing get back there anyway?  I know I'm not the one that is tossing unmentionables willy nilly into the washer at such a pace that they are getting flung behind the appliance.  What exactly is going on when I'm not there to monitor the goings on in the laundry room.  Inquiring minds want to know.

While weeding through the endless supply of crap that for some reason has taken up residence in the laundry room I decide that this is the perfect place to hide stuff, namely sweet stuff, from the kids!  I could shove a fistful of Smarties in a tube sock and hang them from a nail behind the washer.  One things for sure, the kids are not going to look for them there.

Don't judge, I know you all hide stuff from your kids, what grownup doesn't?  My kids have slowly but surely found all my other hiding places so I think this new place will fit the bill nicely.  Although, I'm thinking chocolate will not hold up very well to the heat generated by the dryer so I need to get Ray crack-a-lacking on that clothesline he's supposed to put up for me.....

1 comment: