Friday, February 12, 2010

Baywood Drive

My family lived out on Baywood Drive in Atlanta, GA until I was in the second grade.   Our street went downhill and looped around in the shape of a horseshoe.   All the yards were terraced and had retainer walls that we would sit on summer nights to watch the fireworks from the Lakewood Fairgrounds.


Scan0015





















On the weekends you could hear the cars on the racetrack.  From what I understand, some of my in laws frequented the raceway at Lakewood.
Funny to think how we were so close in distance and yet worlds apart.

That was back in my days of sling statue,  red rover, red rover send Billy right over and lighting bug lanterns were preferred over flashlights.  The only fast food I knew of was Jiffy Pop popcorn and we often ate crab apples off the tree in our yard until our belly's ached.

One of my favorite memories about Baywood Drive is that the neighbors would come over on Friday nights and dance.   The furniture would get pushed up against the walls, the rug was rolled up and the console stereo would get cranked up.

 Us kids would go outside and play, but we could see them from the big picture window.  I always thought how much fun they looked like they were having.
The next house I have,  there will be a living room large enough so that if we all decided to, we could dance!

The country singer Josh Turner has it right with his song Why don't we just dance. Ray gave me his new album Haywire as an early Valentines gift and this is one of my favorite songs on it.   It think it is because it brings back the memory of my parents and their friends dancing.

"....Well, it might be me but the way I see it, the whole wide world has gone crazy.  So baby, why don't we just dance...."

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog and love this post. It reminds me of weekends at my grandparents house. Every Saturday night they would have their friends over to play pinnacle and I would watch & listen. Great times!

    ReplyDelete