Friday, February 12, 2010

A Million Friends!

Today a facebook application called "friends exposed" asked me this question: If you had to choose between a million dollars or a million friends, which would you pick and why?


My answer? A million friends. I believe that while money can gain interest, having friends is more interesting. Don't ever put a price on friendship, it will cost you more than you can ever pay.

I am always amazed at some of my old friendships. Even though we took different paths in life, when we do have the opportunity to speak once again, how easy and comfortable the conversation can be. That to me is the sign of a true friendship. I am also finding that reconnecting with people that I went to high school with and making a point to attend events and make lunch dates with them has brought a ton of joy to my life! Whoda thunk it, me the hermit!

When I think back on my friends from school, I can tell you right now, but for the grace of God, any of us could be dead, or worse, residing in "Earl Lee's establishment". I grew up during a time when the drinking age was 18, the liquor store at 5 & 20 had a drive thru window. You could have a shotgun in the gun rack of your truck on school property and if you were lucky, you didn't get injured badly enough last night when the jeep you were four-wheeling in rolled, so you didn't have to tell your parents what you had been up too.

In my town several of the school pot heads ended up working narcotics on the local police force. I laugh every time I think about that. You know what? I believe it was wise on their part to "go with what you know". If you really think about it, we should all have in our circle of friends a preacher, a banker, a doctor, an athlete, a musician, a judge, a lawyer and most of all many good ol' boys who might someday be on our jury! (Never say never.)

Be a good friend so that you will have good friends. Be a real friend not a fair weather friend and most definitely call when someone comes to your mind seemingly out of the blue. You may never know how much that call might mean to them.

Do I have a million friends? No. According to facebook I have 775 "close and personal friends". You know what? I think I will add that to my bucket list, to make sure and get to know each and every one of the people that I call friend on facebook. Perhaps I will send out one of those crazy questionnaires with 5 simple questions for my friends so that I can get to know them better. I wonder if they would all participate?

A million friends? That would be cool to have. I think I would like having a million friends. That's a nice even number dontcha think? If I ever need a million dollars, perhaps I can borrow one dollar from each of my million friends......and if they ever need a dollar I will make sure I have one to give.

No comments:

Post a Comment