Thursday, February 18, 2010

Geek Squad

The same way that Ray is the household expert on how to fix a broken faucet or how to keep the lawnmower running, I am the resident electronics geek in the house. I don't know why, I no more have a clue how this stuff operates than the man on the moon. Do I let that deter me? Nada chance! I will put together, sync up, hook up, download, burn or copy whatever you need. It's my claim to fame in the family; "Get Annette to do it, she ain't askeered. She'll figure it out."

What my family does not realize is that I have spent many an hour on the phone with my sister, friends and co-workers asking the "stupid questions". That's how I learned to maneuver my way around the computer, scanner, camera or what have you. Over time I eventually knew what to do in certain situations. If I am lucky, the issues that arise fall into my area of "expertise" and I am able to continue to live with the title of "wizard of oz", just as long as they ignore that girl behind the curtain.

The downside to all of this is everybody gets real pissy if I cannot, or seemingly will not fix their electronics issues. I have to believe that even for the Geek Squad it is just a crap shoot when it comes to the things they deal with on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong, I know they are very knowledgeable and must be successful or they wouldn't be in business, but let's face it, there has got to be times when even they are left standing around scratching their heads.

The difference, they will eventually figure it out. I on the other hand will waste countless hours trying to find the solution before I give up. Is this wise? Not so much, but perhaps I can get points for persistence.

No comments:

Post a Comment