Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Sleeping With Kids

I am so glad that the kids are growing up and Ray and I are getting to spend more time alone together.  Don't get me wrong, I love the girls but Ray and I were together seven years before they came along.  It's kinda nice running out to dinner just the two of us when the kids have plans of their own.  It's even nicer not sharing the bed with them.  But I guess the trade off is now the cat has taken their place.

When Alex was little, if she woke up in the middle of the night she wouldn't wake us up, she would just crawl up between us in the bed and go back to sleep.  The alarm would go off in the morning, signaling us to arise and there she would be, piled up in the middle.  She even went through a period where she just had to sleep with us.  We worked alot of hours and didn't get to see her most nights until after 7pm so even though it was hard at times, I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Those of you out there that say, "Well my kids will never or never were allowed to sleep with us..." ,whatever, bully for you.  They are only little once and as far as I am concerned nothing will make you appreciate a good nights sleep better than having spent the night with a toddlers foot in your face.

When Alex was born we were still sleeping in a waterbed.  One of those "nice" ones too, you know with the bookcase headboard and the drawers underneath for the base.  That was some fine furnishings back in those days.  As cold as it has been lately I'd give Ray's left arm to have that waterbed back.  It was so warm  and cozy in the winter.   Man I sure miss that bed.....

When Alex was about a year and a half old she woke up before us on a Saturday morning.  She crawled up on the the headboard and plopped her little diapered self down in the middle of the lowest shelf, right in front of the mirror that marked the center of the headboard.  There she sat, her butt on the shelf and her little feet flat on the mattress.  We were still sleeping and probably wouldn't have have woken up when we did if it hadn't have been for the smell.

Her diaper?  I wish!  I was slowly awakened by the smell of nail polish.  I lay there with my eyes closed trying to decide if I was dreaming when I realized, NO! THIS IS NOT A DREAM!   I opened my eyes and looked over and saw Alex's feet.  My eyes slowly made their way up her legs to her lap where she had one hand resting on her knee and she was painting her nails with the other.  That is when Ray woke up and whispered don't move.  He then raised up and carefully removed the bottle of red nail polish that had fallen over onto my pillow.  I don't know what woke Ray up, perhaps I whimpered.

At the time I was still wearing my hair almost to my waist.  Did the polish run into my hair?  A little, but miraculously we were able to get it out.  I never left my nail polish out after that I can sure tell you!  Actually, I couldn't find a bottle of nail polish around here today if my life depended on it.  Why?  Go back and read "The Truffle With Teens".

No comments:

Post a Comment