Friday, January 29, 2010

It's A Trap!!!

Have you ever seen the movie The Santa Claus? (Ya'll must think all I do is watch movies) In this movie Santa falls off of the roof of a house and is killed after the homeowner, Scott Calvin, who is awakened by the "clatter" runs outside and shouts at him thus startling him and causing him to plunge to his death on the front lawn. Santa immediately dissappears and all that is left is his suit with a letter in the pocket. The letter states; if something should happen to Santa, the reader should put on the suit and the reindeer would know what to do.

After Scott delivers the toys and ends up back at the North Pole he then finds out that he is to be the new Santa Claus from now on. It appears that there is a card that is decorated with a lovely holly border that when viewed under a magnifying glass is actually the Santa Clause which says that, "upon the death of the previous occupant, whoever wears the suit assumes the identity of Santa Claus and all the responsibilities that go with it."

Have you ever felt that you have been tricked with the Santa Clause at one time or another? I sure have! I can tell you right now it will make you a reader of the fine print!!! How many times have you ever received a call from your bank or credit card company and they want you to try out their latest and greatest service, free of course, for the first 90 days. What they don't tell you is that at the very stroke of midnight that rings in the 91st day you will begin to be charged 19.99 per month automatically drafted from you banking account or charged to your credit card.

Now finding where you wrote down their toll free number, if you ever actually wrote it down, is akin to locating a deadbeat dad. Good luck with that! Where is that information they swore was going in the mail to you that very day that would contain this most critical cancellation information?  Yep, that happened to me years ago.

Now, the latest and greatest scheme to charge us unwittingly is online. I was looking up famous quotes and got to a sight that wanted my cell phone number before it would let me view the content. They wanted to text me my 4 digit code for "free registration". What they don't tell you is that at the low, low price of $9.99 per month you will begin to receive the quote of the day and this will be conveniently billed to your cellphone bill. What the heck?!

Stuff like this makes makes me crazy. I have now come up with my own little ways of deciphering the trustworthiness of people and situations and do my best not to deviate from them. I will share them with you here:

1. If it sounds to good to be true, it is, so walk away and don't look back.

2. If whatever they are trying to give away is so great, why are they trying to get rid of it? This is in regards to pets, or other personal items.

3. Never trust a man with a pinkie ring.

Not a very long list and it hasn't failed me yet. Make sure to take the time to find the Santa Clause a/k/a "The Fine Print" and read it in all situations. If you don't understand it, ask questions, if you can't get a satisfactory answer, then say; thank you, no thank you!

The world would be a better place if we could spot a trap when we came upon it don'tcha think?


I have to believe that this bed belongs in the apartment of some smooth talking womanizer, don't you?

1 comment:

  1. The elderly are especially vunerable to these shysters.
    My dad loved to talk,and they would be so friendly and listen to him about all his inventions etc. so once they were his buddy there's no way that he could say no.
    I spent many,many hours trying to get him out of these good deal Santa traps.
    Now it seems I will have to sharpen my skills again as my husband has taken to falling for them.
    Last month when I came home he informed me that he had signed us up with Utility Pro, this is a company who for 39.99 a month will insure and pay for all repairs to all your appliances and..replace if necessary.
    Good deal?? I don't think so.
    At 39.99 per month I will give them 479.88 in 1 year, in 10 years they will have 4,798.80 of our money. If every appliance in our house fails at once I believe I can replace them for around 3,000.00 so they will profit 1,798.80 and don't you know I will have to run through a ring of fire and paper work to prove my loss. Then they will depreciate my stuff to the point that I might get a couple hundred dollars, Gee!! how good of them since it was all 10 year old junk. Or they will be out of business by then of spending all the thousands they stole from honest people.
    I don't know how they sleep at night!!
    Thanks for posting,this just happens to be one of my pet peeves, we all need to keep on our toes especially nowadays and follow your advice. When they call now I get a mental picture of them smiling at me while them slip MY mone into their pocket!

    ReplyDelete