Sunday, January 10, 2010

Wise Up

Have any of you ever seen the movie Groundhog Day?

The movie is about Phil Conners a television weatherman, played by Bill Murray and his producer, Rita, played by Andie MacDowell. They are on location in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania on February 2 to report on the annual Groundhog Day activities revolving around Punxsutawney Phil.

This is a comedy and essentially what happens is that due to various circumstances they are detained in town and every morning Phil wakes up to find out it is February 2nd all over again. Many mishaps and crazy antics ensue as he takes advantage of the situation where tomorrow is a clean slate and there is no fear of long term consequences.

Phil eventually grows weary of this and confesses what is happening to Rita. She suggests that he should be taking advantage of the situation by improving himself. You will have to rent the movie to see what happens. I don’t think you will be disappointed.

Many times since I have had children I feel like it is Groundhog Day around here! The instructions given the day before somehow end up being as fleeting as a Black Friday Early Bird Sale at Target. Why do my children think when I want them to pick up after themselves I don’t mean all the time?


I will never forget the frustration of EVERY morning of elementary school I had to ask both my girls; do you have your homework? Did you brush your teeth? Do you have your agenda? Where’s your coat, shoes etc and so forth. I feel a lot of times the reason they don’t do things automatically is because I am their living Day Planner. They don’t have to remember, mom will be by shortly to go over the To Do List.

Well, they are in Middle and High School now and they are on their own! Alex is a senior and I cut her off middle of her freshman year. Abby, she received her rude awakening this year, her first year of middle school. It is time for them to wise up and use what they have been taught!

Tonight at church the sermon was about wisdom and how you gain wisdom through your life experiences. You become wise by applying the knowledge you gained. One of the things that preacher mentioned was how he was not knowledgeable in certain things. Car mechanics for instance. He does not like grease on his hands so this intense dislike prevents him from learning auto mechanics.

What I learned from that statement is this: You can only learn what you are willing to get your hands dirty doing. Metaphorically speaking, whatever you want to know in life, get elbow deep in it. Learn it inside and out and apply what you learn.

My children, well I have stepped aside as their walking agenda and they are learning that they have to be responsible for certain aspects of their lives. Tell a kid a couple of times in a row you’re not bringing their homework to the school and I guarantee they will remember to put it in their book bag!

Myself? There is a lot in my life I want to improve spiritually, physically and literarily. We learn from each other and we are never too old to learn. Here’s to continuing education!

No comments:

Post a Comment